Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Each fire damage event is different and the scope of the damage varies. The immediate concern should always be protecting yourself and others on your Conroe property during a fire. But once the fire fighters have put out the flames and the smoke has settled, who do you turn to?
Our SERVPRO of Lake Conroe, Magnolia, Cleveland team is the #1 choice in fire damage restoration and cleanup in the Conroe area. Our team has the experience, the training, and the equipment necessary to take care of a fire loss of any size.
Down below you can read some tips of the do's and don'ts after a fire. Take a minute to review these Fire Damage Tips to better prepare yourself in the event of a fire!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (936) 441-8550
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.